Groupon is a group buying/discount giant in the United States. But given the hyperlocal nature of the the service, it is hard-pressed to replicate its level of success in the Philippines. Yes, there is a local presence here, but it has yet to make any significant splashes.
Enter the Groupon clones.
With a more attuned approach to local tastes and network of merchants from the Philppines, there are a slew of group discount/ group buying sites that will try to be the “Groupon of the Philippines”
- Buyanihan.com – One of the first group buying sites to follow the Groupon playbook.
- Awesome.ph – Backed by Our Awesome Planet
- LocalRoam.ph – Has BPI and GCash as payment options
- CashCashPinoy.com – Features more than one deal per day
- Ensogo.com.ph – Has BDO as payment partner
- Pakyaw.com.ph – Still in beta, one of the newer sites; backed by the Magsaysay group.
- DealGrocer.com – Offers are more on the high end services
- MetroDeal.com – Has SmartMoney enabled through MozCom’s PayEasy service.
If you look at the group buying sites, almost all of them offer lifestyle-related deals, like spa, restaurant, and resort offers. Not much differentiation on the product offerings, so this becomes a battle of ecosystems.
Meaning, the site who is able to penetrate better payment options, offer more diverse merchants, plus support systems will win the Groupon clone game. Another key factor is the site’s user experience.
From the looks of it, LocalRoam and Ensogo are in the right direction by engaging banks and a diverse payment system into their fold. Awesome.PH has BPI support and credit card payment, plus a very distinct branding, but it has yet to make headway in the game.
But who knows? The local Groupon site may turn a corner and dominate the field. Let’s see how things will unfold in the group buying space.
Update #1: Thanks to Alfredo Palconit for suggesting Pakyaw.com.ph
Update #2: Thanks to Karla Redor for suggesting MetroDeal and DealGrocer